We all know that the easiest chocolate cake is one someone else makes. That being said, this one is pretty easy to make, if a bit unexpected. It’s been awhile since I baked and all sorts of weird things are happening. I’m not complaining, it makes things much more interesting in the kitchen. There is mayonnaise in this cake and hot coffee and you need to use every mixing bowl in your kitchen. Uh…well, if you say so. And the good people at America’s Test Kitchen do say so.
Am I getting better at making cakes? Well, this is only the third one but I am getting much more comfortable messing up all my mixing bowls. The first time it happened I was outraged. The second time I was just kind of impressed. I even took a picture of all of the bowls.
This time I didn’t notice until I was washing the fourth bowl. For the past 20 years I have only made cakes from a box mix which only takes one bowl so this is a huge change for me.
The cakes taste better so the extra bowls are worth it but be aware that making cakes is part of my job. I’m not trying to shoehorn this activity into a crowded schedule. Use a box mix if that is what you have time for. Have cake your way. Scratch or box, the thing that matters is that at the end you have cake!
1 ½ cups (7 ½ ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
½ teaspoon salt
⅔ cup mayonnaise
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup (1 ½ ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped fine
1 cup black coffee, hot
Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Oven rack to middle position.
- Heat oven to 350 degree.
- Grease and flour 8×8 pan.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, whisk mayo, egg and vanilla together
- Combine cocoa and chocolate in medium bowl, pour hot coffee over top, and whisk until smooth; let cool slightly
- Whisk in mayo mixture until combined.
- Stir chocolate mixture into flour mixture until combines.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and tap on counter to settle
- Bake about 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs
- Cool cake in pan about 1 to 2 hours.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into pieces and consume