Talk Nerdy is one of the best and longer running science podcasts out there. Wait! Don’t run off. It isn’t some boring dude droning on about quarks or a super hyper young woman who talks so fast you think you’re having a stroke because you can’t keep up.
Talk Nerdy is “conversations with interesting people about interesting things.” The host, Cara Santa Maria, “taught biology and psychology courses to university undergraduates and high school students in Texas and New York. Her published research has spanned various topics, including clinical psychological assessment, the neuropsychology of blindness, neuronal cell culture techniques, and computational neurophysiology. She earned her B.S. in Psychology from the University of North Texas in 2004, followed by an M.S. in Neurobiology in 2007. She is currently working toward a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology with a concentration in Social Justice and Diversity from Fielding Graduate University.”
I put all that in because it is super impressive.
Anyway, it’s a great podcast that covers a wide variety of topics under the science umbrella. Here is the description of the lastest podcast, just so you can see what they do.
“In this episode of Talk Nerdy, Cara has an in-studio chat with Dr. Stacey Finley, head of the Computational Systems Biology Laboratory in the University of Southern California’s Viterbi School of Engineering. They discuss the work she’s doing at the intersection of systems biology, chemical engineering, computer science, and materials science to develop novel mechanistic models of disease processes such as cancer.”
Here are the past 5 guests:
- Dr. Randi Hutter Epstein, author of “Aroused: The History of Hormones and How they Control Just About Everything.”
- Mr. Fascinate himself, Justin Shaifer. They talk about the work he’s doing to bring culturally responsive STEM curriculum to students and educators nationwide, as well as his animated series, ‘Hood Science.
- producer, writer, and designer Rose Eveleth. They discuss the futuristic scenarios explored on Rose’s popular podcast, Flash Forward.
- Stacey Espinosa, Global Product Development Senior Manager for Mints and New Benefits at Mars Wrigley Confectionary.
- Dr. Burcin Becerik-Gerber, founding director of the Innovation in Integrated Informatics Lab and the Center for Intelligent Environments, Technology, and Society at the University of Southern California.
All quotes taken from the Talk Nerdy webpage.